Widget Recent Post No.

Thursday 15 September 2016

TONY PRINCE TOMETY TALKS ABOUT HOW PEOPLE MISTAKE HIM FOR WILL SMITH

There is a saying that we are all created in twos. That may have been proved right by Ghanaian film and TV production designer Tony Prince Tomety who looks exactly like world famous actor and musician Will Smith. When we met him, we asked him a lot of things about his life and how people relate with him and his unique look.
What’s your name and what do you do?
My name is Tony Prince Tomety and I am a production designer.
Tribe?
Ewe
How long have you been doing this?
13 years.
Do you have a formal training in it?
Yes. I studied production and film directing at the National Film and Television Institute (NAFTI) for four years. For my secondary education, I attended Presbyterian Boys High School (PRESEC) Lagon.
What are some of the very important set design jobs that you have done?
I have done quite a number of them both in film, events and for TV. I worked on films like “No Time to Die” by Kinapao, Sinking Sand, Ties that Binds, and Northern Affair, Beast of No Nation all by Lala Djansi. I have done TV shows like Vodafone Health Line, Airtel Touching Lives, Vodafone Icons, Stanbic Jazz Festival. Shot two films in the US
With your striking resemblance with world famous Hollywood actor Will Smith, why are you not venturing into acting since you are already in the industry?
I would say it’s a choice I made, even though a lot of people have tried to persuade me to go into acting, but I feel that I can probably do better from behind the scene. That is what I do and I feel that’s where I have more talent and skills. Nevertheless, I have done a couple of acting for friends, but that’s not really what I studied. Maybe if try doing more, I could get into it, but for now I am focused on my job.


At what point did you start to notice that you and Will Smith lookalike?
That would be when I was in senior high school. That’s when everyone stated saying “oh you look like Will Smith” some people would even meet me and say “I think I know you somewhere” and I would go like, no we haven’t met before.
After you discovered this resemblance, did you make any conscious effort to enhance your look in a way to look more like Will Smith?
No I didn’t. but right from time, my mum had always cut my hair in the square punk shape which is similar to that of Will Smith. So when I started going to the salon myself, I just maintained the style. Moreover, I like square shaped things. My car and furniture are all like that.
How does looking like Will Smith makes you feel?
Sometimes it’s weird because right  now a lot of people around the world still call me Will Smith. But I think it’s better for people to know me for who I am. So it gives me a mixed feeling. There is a good part to it, but I would prefer that people know me for who I am not who I look like.
So what’s the good part to it?
Sometimes you get to jump queues, I mean people are extra nice to you. But sometimes it becomes too much like when people want to take pictures with you all the time even though they know that you are not the real person. Sometimes when this is happening you see everyone around just staring at you. I must say sometimes I just want to be myself.
Has there been any situation when someone was shocked seeing you?
Yes. I get it on the plane when I am travelling. Even the air hostesses and some people in the plane thinks that its Will Smith. I have worked into shops where people were shocked because they were not sure of what it is. I have walked on a street in Hollywood and people sang Will Smiths Wild Wild West to me thinking am him. People get surprise and they just want to associate with you.
Since both of you are blacks, do you think there could be any remote chance of a blood relationship?
People have asked me that question a lot. They have asked me to meet him for checks. I even a video on YouTube – I think it’s done by an American, and the person was like Will Smith and I have the same DNA. But as for whether I am going to meet him, I think because of my job I might just bump into him someday. But I can’t tell you right now that we are related.
So would you want to really meet him?
I would love to meet him. I am a film person, I go to the cinema every weekend and I have seen a lot of his films. He is a great actor and I would love to meet with him.

If you possibly meet with him, what would it look like for you?
(Laughs) I probably would want to put a mirror before us for us to see what is really happening. I am very sure it would generate something very interesting. He probably could be super shocked.
Your parents, do they know Will Smith?
They do. They have seen his movies. My mum would say ‘oh I saw a photo somewhere, is it you?” that doesn’t mean that she doesn’t know me, but because of what I do which is film, the closeness starts getting too weird.
Given the opportunity to feature alongside Will Smith in a movie, would you like it?
Yes I will do it. I am not somebody who allows myself to be in a box. I believe its better you try something positive and wait for the result rather than seat down and do nothing. So I would jump at it. It may unearth something I never knew I have.
Do you see the possibility of featuring in a Ghanaian movie that could portray you as Ghana’s Will Smith?
I think I would prefer having the producer do something original rather than take it off someone else’s image.
So if you want to use your resemblance with Smith to your advantage, what would it be?
I don’t know. I have never used it to my advantage. Ever since all I do is just go out there and do what I know how to do best. It’s just a little unfortunate that people would always refer to me as Will Smith or that Will Smith lookalike. I have even had someone refer to me as Fresh Prince and it’s a little weird because my middle name is Prince. I really don’t know how my parents did that too.
How do you handle the girls?
They are always there but I think focus in my job is ultimate.
Do they fight over you?
I don’t know. Maybe they do behind my back, I can’t say.
Do you have a girlfriend or perhaps married?
I am not married but am seeing someone and she is based in US.
What does she like most about you?
I don’t think she likes me because I look like Will Smith. She just likes me for been a hard working guy and truly I like to work hard. I work long hours.
What does she thinks about your looks?
Although people say I look like Will Smith in her presence, but she doesn’t let it get into her head because she loves me beyond the look. The look is not what she would live with eventually if she decides to settle down with me.

How do people relate with you online?
I get a lot of comments like Will Smith lookalike, Ghana’s Will Smith and plenty of nice comment. But all I can say is thank you. Nevertheless, I hope that in the mist of this they still remember who I am.
Given the opportunity to change your nationality, would you want to be an American?
I will always be Ghanaian. I don’t I would want to change my nationality for any reason.
Would you have preferred a different look that doesn’t make people see you as someone else?
When I was growing up, I never thought I was going to look like somebody else. I just wanted to grow up and be myself and affect people my own way.
Your mega plans for the next ten years?
What I have in mind is to try and create a big change in our film and TV industry with what I know how to do best. Though am not the best, but I want to be able to get people to understand the job and I would love to have a lot of people improve on their job, that way it will help all of us to grow together.

Watch the interview here https://youtu.be/l1C9aU-TJEc


No comments:

Post a Comment